Benefit's They're Real! Mascara Review & FOTD

A few months back, I sparked a conversation with this really friendly employee in Sephora. We were chatting of highlighters and mascara when she asked me, "Have you ever tried They're Real! by Benefit?" to which I replied, no. I'm very picky about mascaras, as I've experienced my share of not-so-hot formulas. I've been really satisfied with Cover Girl's Lash Blast 24hr Mascara and wasn't really looking for a replacement. To this she insisted I try the mascara, and gave me a sample that was left over from the "Birthday Gift" of the previous month.

That sample has been sitting in my makeup "pile" (can't really call it an organized lot) for almost three months! I know, holy crap Stephanie! Like I said, I wasn't in a rush to replace my Lash Blast! I thought I would try it out, finally, and would turn the experience into a review for any of you in a mascara coma, as I was.
I wanted to include a little about my Lash Blast Mascara before giving my review of Benefit's They're Real! This Cover Girl formula has been perfect for my needs. Although I admire false lashes and doll eyes, I'm just not that type of gal. I'm more interested in no nonsense, easy, gets the job done. And that is what this mascara has done for me, time and time again. I've repurchased this mascara at least three times. It really is waterproof and I'm convinced it would stay on for 24 hours, as the title implies.
Now, back to Benefit! The first thing I noticed upon opening the tube was the creamier formula. The wand is one of those alien-stick-type ones, not a bad thing as those are actually my favorite! This wand also comes with a rounded tip with spikes on it as well, meant to help application in small places or on your bottom lashes.
Here is a beautiful (oh my gosh...) close up of my eye with absolutely no makeup. My lashes aren't totally unnoticeable, but they are quite teeny none the less.
Right away I could see that this mascara was meant to elongate and resemble false lashes. Of course I didn't apply enough to look like falsies, but would you believe this is only one coat? I was done, with one little coat. It you're not excited, I can't be sure that you're human. I was totally impressed with the way this opened up my eye. My Cover Girl mascara never had the same impact. It would just color my lashes black, so they were more intense. Never elongated them, like this. 
This is my "face of the day", with Benefit's They're Real! mascara. Over all I was quite impressed with my sample. The employee at Sephora was so right. I just needed to try this. Honestly, I couldn't stop looking at my lashes in my rear-view mirror while driving. So unsafe, do not do that. Pay attention to the road! 
To end this review, I want to say that if you are in the market (or not, like I was) for a new mascara, you'll want to consider this one. Once this sample is up, I will certainly be investing in my own tube. It is great for lengthening your lashes and opening your eyes. The pictures show my lashes with only one coat of mascara, which I'm sure you could build. 

The only reservation I have with this formula is it's durability in water. I didn't encounter any direct water and there was minimal humidity the day I reviewed this product. However when I removed my makeup in the evening, I noticed how runny and messy the mascara became when in contact with the makeup wipe. I know, I know, it's makeup REMOVER. But I've never had this problem while removing my Lash Blast mascara, which as I've said is certainly waterproof and durable. I can't, however, make a certain comment that this Benefit formula is or is not waterproof because I just haven't had that opportunity. 
If you have any other questions about Benefit's They're Real! mascara, leave a comment and I'd be more than happy to try to provide an answer for you!

FOTD PRODUCTS USED;

FACE
Clean & Clear Face Moisturizer
e.l.f Mineral Infused Face Primer in Clear
Makeup Forever HD Foundation in shade N110
Mars Radiant Creamy Concealer in shade Chantilly
NYX HD Studio Photogenic Finishing Powder
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in shade Transparent
Benefit Hoola Bronzer
e.l.f Blush in shade Tickled Pink
NARS Highlight in shade Albatross
e.l.f Makeup Mist & Set Spray

EYES
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in shade Original
MAC Matte 2 Eyeshadow in shade Blanc Type
MAC Eyeshadow in shade Soft Brown
Too Faced Eyeshadow in shade Tufted Suede
Too Faced Eyeshadow in shade Chinchilla
Too Faced Eyeshadow in shade Coffee Bean
Almay Liquid Liner in shade Black
Benefit's They're Real! Mascara (no shade listed, but the color was black!)

LIPS
L'oreal Colour Riche Lipstick in shade 800 Fairest Nude
Benefit Watts Up! in shade Soft Focus

Much Love,
-Stephanie Eva


Labels: ,